Tuesday, 18 November 2025 — The Minister for the Interior, Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak, has announced a nationwide firearms amnesty and a temporary ban on the use of guns at public events, as government intensifies efforts to curb the sharp rise in gun-related crimes across the country. Speaking at a press conference in Accra, the Minister expressed deep concern over the increasing circulation of illegal weapons, which he said have found their way into schools, workplaces, funerals, festivals and other social gatherings.
The Minister revealed that Ghana recorded 1,219 robbery cases and 552 murder cases in 2024, while by July 2025 alone, 628 robberies and 340 murders had already been reported. According to him, many of these incidents involved the use of unregistered firearms, a situation he described as alarming and unacceptable. He stressed that the presence of illegal guns in communities had escalated everyday misunderstandings into deadly confrontations, turning what should be safe public spaces into danger zones.
To address the situation, the government has introduced a six-week amnesty period beginning 1 December 2025 and ending 15 January 2026. During this period, citizens in possession of unregistered or illegal firearms may surrender them to designated security installations without facing prosecution. The Minister explained that the amnesty is intended to give Ghanaians the opportunity to voluntarily hand over illicit weapons before the state begins rigorous enforcement actions after 15 January 2026. He noted that this approach has proven effective in other countries and is expected to significantly reduce the number of illegal guns circulating in communities.
As part of the measures, a temporary nationwide ban has also been placed on the use of firearms at funerals, festivals and other celebratory events for the duration of the amnesty. The Minister said that what began as harmless traditional gunshot displays has evolved into the use of advanced and high-powered weapons, including pump-action guns, pistols, AK-47s and even G3 rifles. He emphasised that the ban is not intended to suppress cultural practices permanently but is necessary to restore order and allow authorities to regulate and properly licence traditional gun handlers once the amnesty ends.
Beyond the amnesty window, security agencies will launch intensified operations to track and seize illicit weapons, disrupt criminal networks and prosecute offenders. The ministry is also deploying advanced weapons-detection equipment at various borders and entry points as part of a broader strategy to block illegal arms trafficking. A national public-education campaign involving chiefs, clergy, youth groups and media organisations will also roll out to sensitise the population. The Minister called for nationwide cooperation, stressing that community leaders and families must actively support the initiative by helping to identify and encourage the surrender of unregistered guns.
Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak ended his address with an appeal for unity and a renewed commitment to national peace, stating that “our children deserve playgrounds, not battlegrounds; our families deserve laughter, not funerals.” He warned that every illegal firearm in circulation represents a silent threat that could take a life at any moment, and urged the public to take the opportunity offered by the amnesty to help secure the country’s future.
Follow us on all social media platforms for latest news updates
©ZM NEWS




